Share your thoughts on several topics like finance, Real Estate, Credit, or simply learn to know each other!

Important Don't loan to family or friends

ADS

Carol

Advanced Member
Occupation
Finance
Reaction score
Occupation
Finance
One thing I always recommend is to not usually loan money to family and friends. I can understand in the case of an emergency, but in other situations, it's best to rethink it. I don't like giving loans out to family members and friends, because I don't like being the bad guy when I inevitably ask for them to pay it back. I can loan a few hundred, but it has to be serious if you want me.

You may feel differently, but it's just the way I feel about it.

agile

Advanced Member
Occupation
Project Coordinator
Reaction score
Occupation
Project Coordinator
One thing I always recommend is to not usually loan money to family and friends. I can understand in the case of an emergency, but in other situations, it's best to rethink it. I don't like giving loans out to family members and friends, because I don't like being the bad guy when I inevitably ask for them to pay it back. I can loan a few hundred, but it has to be serious if you want me.

I totally agree with you. If you loan a family member, there are high chances of them defaulting. Therefore you should not do it. Or lend out an amount that you can easily handle. Amount you can afford to lose.

Erika

Advanced Member
Reaction score

True. Lending a family member is the biggest mistake i have ever done. He made me invest in a project he had in mind, i borrowed from the bank since my creditworthiness was better. Now the business failed and am left paying the loan alone.

Charley

Advanced Member
Reaction score

You are very right. Lending a family member, or even a close colleague at your workplace is not at a good idea. It will just bring bad blood between you when s/he fails to honor the payments.

bomb

Advanced Member
Occupation
Engineer
Reaction score
Occupation
Engineer

I totally agree with you @Carol
Lending a family member or a close buddy is NO NO for me. I'd rather s/he hates me for not helping, but we will keep the friendship. I will only offer what I can afford. And oftentimes, i tell them not to pay back because am just helping with little I have.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Join our finance & real estate community now our newsletter.

Find member